Saturday, July 9, 2011

This week

This week has been packed with all kinds of crazy things. I've gone to dinner at some of the most delicious (and cheap) restaurants. There's an italian restaurant ran by a man who moved from Italy, that has the BEST pasta. There's a french resteraunt ran by a man who moved from france that has some really good, but different, pasta. There's a comedor (which is a restaurant that's styled like a cafeteria) where I can get traditional rice and beans and chicken. All the food here is delicious. I'm starting to get to know some of the locals a little better. I love everything about this place. The people are so friendly, there's always something to do, and the weather is so warm and nice.

A few days ago we had a bbq at the school. We went to the grocery market and bought meat, sauces, veggies and all kinds of goodies.
I chopped vegetables in the kitchen with Karolina. She's from norway and possibly one of the most sarcastic and funny people I've ever met. Don't mess with this girl.

I've gone surfing twice. It's really difficult! The first time we went was in the afternoon, and the current was too strong. I didn't really get a chance to try to get up because I was being pulled into the rocks. Everyone dragged me out of bed at 6:30 am yesterday to try in the morning . I ran into a friend who I've met down here, who's a surf instructor. He was renting a board and saw me and Karolina and gave us some free pointers. I ALMOST got up, but I was too scared and fell back. It was a big wave and I could feel exactly what surfing was supposed to feel like, but I just didn't get up (if that makes sense). My friend of course was doing all kinds of crazy tricks, including turns and surfing on one leg. It's amazing what some people can do!


These pictures below are some of my favorite pictures so far. To get into Cabarete, which is the next town over, you have to drive 15 minutes. We take a carro público (public car) which costs a little less than a dollar per person. The drivers try to fit as many people into the car at once, so we had a photo shoot the other night while we were squished. We're always cracking up in the carro públicos because everyones on top of each other.


Dancing at night is so fun! Most of the students go out to Cabarete to dance at a club called Ojos. They play Bachata and Merengue and everyones dancing. What I think is adorable is that there's a german instructor at the school who married a Dominican man. They come out with us when they can get a babysitter and her husband teaches all of the girls how to dance. Otherwise we dance with people we know, or other students from the school.

I had an excursion the other day. We first went in a boat and traveled down a river. There were all kinds of crazy looking birds and wildlife. I felt like I was in The Jungle Book or something.

We then were brought strait to a very Dominican beach. It was filled with kids playing in the water, adults playing dominoes up on shore, and lots of music.
After we took a short bus ride over to Playa Grande. This was a huge beach that had great waves. Because we went on a weekday, there was almost no one there. We basically had the whole beach to ourselves.
Each of us got piña coladas in pineapples. They had bits of pineapple floating around, and after the drink was gone there was still a little fruit left at the bottom. I can't believe how lucky I am to be so close to so many amazing beaches!

1 comment: