Sunday, July 17, 2011

Horseback Riding, the Beach and Waterfalls

It’s so hard to keep posting because I barely have time. I’m always in class, at the beach, on an excursion, dancing, out to dinner or sleeping. There’s just so much to do and somehow I’ve already been here three weeks. I cannot believe that I’m going home in 6 days. I’ve absolutely fallen in love with this country.

On Wednesday I went horseback riding on the beach. I was on a horse named Kitkat, who was an angry horse. He kept on head butting the other horses and trying to race them. We walked and trotted for most of the way there, and then on the way back towards the end we cantered. The waves kept on crashing and the horses were splashing in the water, and it was also raining, so by the time we got back we were soaked. It was a two hour ride and afterwards we all could barely walk.




Thursday I went to Playa Grande again. It took an hour and 45 minutes to get there, but it’s such a fun ride. I went through small towns, past beaches, next to forests and through the mountains. It’s nice to see typical Dominican life, because I’m living in a resort town.

Yesterday I went to the 27 waterfalls. We had two tour guides who gave us helmets, life vests, and brought us on a hike through the mountains. We hiked for about an hour, and although it wasn’t necessarily a hard hike, it was extremely hot. I talked a lot with one of the tour guides who is a really big baseball fan. He likes the Phillies and hates the Yankees, so we got along. We talked a lot about David Ortiz and Albert Pujoles. I learned some baseball terms in Spanish (which is always good to know). When we finally got to the waterfalls, we jumped off them. The jumps kept on getting higher and higher, and towards the end my heart was POUNDING. There were even a few rock slides that freaked me out. The last jump was 30 feet tall and it took my friend Julia at least 10 minutes to get up the courage to jump. It was scary, but super fun!














After the waterfalls we stopped by a fish restaurant. The place had no menus, and instead we went into the kitchen and picked out the fish that we wanted. We had 9 people and we ordered 4 large fish, fried plantains, french fries and potato salad. They cooked the fish and gave it to us whole. I’ve never eaten a fish that hasn’t been cut into smaller sections. I thought I’d be freaked out, but it didn’t bother met at all. The meal was delicious and ridiculously cheap. We paid 1000 pesos for 9 people, which is a little more than 25 dollars. Meals are not that cheap in Sosúa, but outside of the resort towns everything is a lot cheaper.

I only have 6 days left, but I plan on living them up. I do NOT want to go home, but I’ve been so lucky to be here for so long already! Hopefully this week doesn’t fly by too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment